Saturday, November 7, 2009

Colbie Caillat: Pop Star, Geek Girl

Posted by Doug Newcomb on Friday, October 9, 2009 7:07 AM


With hit songs like "Bubbly" and "Realize" from her double-platinum 2007 debut album Coco, Colbie Caillat quickly became one of pop music's biggest stars and most promising talents. And she proved she has staying power with her sophomore album, Breakthrough, which has spawned the Top 20 single "Falling for You."


While such success is heady stuff for anyone still in their mid-20s, Caillat is no stranger to the music business. Her dad, Ken Caillat, was co-producer of one of the biggest-selling rock records in history, Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours," and Colbie has distinct memories of being around rock stars and recording studios as a kid. Her dad also helped out behind the boards on "Breakthrough."

While on tour to promote her new record, Caillat sat down with MSN Tech & Gadgets to talk about how the Internet helped her break through with her music, what type of gadgets she takes along on tour and how she got the tech bug from her dad -- and vice versa.

Tech & Gadgets: Your music was first discovered by people via MySpace. How did that happen?

Colbie Caillat: How it started was I would write songs and play them for my producer, and he suggested that I record them and post them on MySpace. So we did that, and after about six months or so I built up a fan base and people started e-mailing me and sending me messages and coming to my shows.  I started to realize how cool it was to involve them; I'd ask them which songs they like the most, which ones they'd like to see as the first single. I wanted to keep them involved from the beginning. And now with Facebook and Twitter, I can send a text from my phone any time I want to and tell them what I'm doing and they can reply. And that's such a great way to stay in touch with fans.

T&G: At what point does it turn to work?

Caillat: I like all of it, at times. I had to cancel a couple of in-store appearances today [because she wasn't feeling well], which I was bummed about. I do full-band shows, so I like to see the fans that close. They're excited to see me play my songs acoustic. But when there's just too much of it at once and that affects the performance, that's when it becomes work. But otherwise, if I'm feeling good, I don't mind it at all. I enjoy explaining to people how I got started and giving them advice. So it's only work when there's too much of it and your body feels the effect.

T&G: You ever feel that today, with all the ways to find out about an artist, there's no mystery left, like in the pre-Internet days?

Caillat: I don't mind it, to be honest. I know how much it means to fans to know about the artists they like and they can relate to them and connect with them. And when I share information with them they get so interested or excited. I'm, like, "I don't care. I'll tell you!"

T&G: Your dad is a well-known producer and helped out with your latest record. Is there anything in particular that he's taught you technologywise?

Caillat: I was the technology computer geek in the family. My mom and sister couldn't care less, but my dad is a total tech geek, too. So I got my love of electronics from my dad. I love computers; I'm always at the computer. I have a really nice digital Canon camera. I have a BlackBerry and an iPhone. I have all these little hand-held recorders and stuff.

T&G: Are there things you teach your dad about technology, since you're from the Internet generation?

Caillat: It's funny, because I had a MySpace page and then he got a MySpace page. And now I'm on Facebook and he recently got on Facebook. I bought him a Wii and taught him how to play it. And he had the oldest cell phone forever. He originally got me into cell phones, but then I got him into all the latest stuff. I bring him up to date on technology and he helps me out in the studio.

T&G: What sort of gadgets do you bring on tour with you?

Caillat: I have a BlackBerry and an iPhone and an iTouch. And I bring my MacBook Pro with me and I have my huge Canon digital SLR camera. I also have a smaller Canon digital camera because I love taking pictures and documenting everything while on the road.

T&G: Is there any piece of technology you couldn't live without?

Caillat: I like my iPhone because I can check e-mail really fast when I can't get to a computer and I can look up video edits I need to check. But I like my BlackBerry because I can type really fast on it. That's my main phone. But I like it all!

T&G: Is there any gadget that you wish someone would invent?

Caillat: I would like a mixture of an iPhone and a BlackBerry. I don't like typing on the iPhone, but I think for how expensive the BlackBerry is it's a little outdated. So I'd like to see them combined. I like when things are really modern but when they are also easy to use and comfortable.

-- Posted by Doug Newcomb, special to MSN Tech & Gadgets

1 comment:

Share your thoughts here!